- Oral presentation
- Open Access
Chromatin assembly from nucleosome to heterochromatin: the issue of DNA damage
- Geneviève Almouzni1
© Almouzni; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2013
- Published: 18 March 2013
- Cell Cycle
- Histone Modification
- Variant Dynamic
- Multiple Cell
- Epigenetic Mark
Studies concerning the mechanism of DNA replication and repair have advanced our understanding of the stable transmission through multiple cell cycles of a faithful genetic material. Recent work has shed light on possible means to ensure the stable transmission of information beyond just DNA and the concept of epigenetic inheritance has emerged. Considering chromatin-based information, key candidates have arisen as epigenetic marks including DNA and histone modifications, histone variants, non-histone chromatin proteins, nuclear RNA as well as higher-order chromatin organization. Thus, understanding the dynamics and stability of these marks following disruptive events during replication and repair and throughout the cell cycle becomes of critical importance for the maintenance of any given chromatin state.
We will present our most recent work on this topic, considering mostly histone variant dynamics during the cell-cycle and in response to DNA damage.
- Dunleavy EM, Roche D, Tagami H, Lacoste N, Ray-Gallet D, Nakamura Y, Daigo Y, Nakatani Y, Almouzni G: HJURP, a key CENP-A-partner for maintenance and deposition of CENP-A at centromeres at late telophase/G1. Cell. 2009, 137: 485-497. 10.1016/j.cell.2009.02.040.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Szenker E, Ray-Gallet D, Almouzni G: The double face of the histone variant H3.3. Cell Res. 2011, 21: 421-434. 10.1038/cr.2011.14.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Baldeyron C, Soria G, Roche D, Cook AJL, Almouzni G: HP1α recruitment to DNA damage by p150CAF-1 promotes homologous recombination repair. J Cell Biol. 2011, 193: 81-95. 10.1083/jcb.201101030.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maison C, Bailly D, Roche D, Montes de Oca R, Probst AV, Vassias I, Dingli F, Lombard B, Loew D, Quivy JP, Almouzni G: SUMOylation promotes de novo targeting of HP1α to pericentric heterochromatin. Nature Genet. 2011, 43: 220-227. 10.1038/ng.765.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cook AJL, Gurard-Levin ZA, Vassias I, Almouzni G: A specific function for the histone chaperone NASP to fine-tune a reservoir of soluble H3-H4 in the histone supply chain. Mol Cell. 2011, 44: 918-927. 10.1016/j.molcel.2011.11.021.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ray-Gallet D, Woolfe A, Vassias I, Pellentz C, Lacoste N, Puri A, Schultz DC, Pchelintsev NA, Adams PD, Jansen LE, Almouzni G: Dynamics of histone H3 deposition in vivo reveal a nucleosome gap-filling mechanism for H3.3 to maintain chromatin integrity. Mol Cell. 2011, 44: 928-941. 10.1016/j.molcel.2011.12.006.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maison C, Romeo K, Bailly D, Dubarry M, Quivy JP, Almouzni G: The SUMO protease SENP7 is a critical component of pericentric heterochromatin to ensure local HP1 enrichment. Nature Struct Mol Biol. 2012, 19: 458-460. 10.1038/nsmb.2244.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Szenker E, Lacoste N, Almouzni G: A developmental requirement for HIRA-dependant H3.3 deposition revealed at gastrulation in Xenopus. Cell Rep. 2012, 1: 730-740. 10.1016/j.celrep.2012.05.006.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.